1. The Headteacher is in overall charge of managing appeals relating to internal assessments.
2. If a candidate (via their parent/carer) wishes to appeal about his/her internal assessment marks then the following procedures should be followed:
The appeal should be made in writing to the Headteacher stating the details of the complaint and the reasons for the appeal.
The appeal should normally be submitted by 30th April for examinations in the summer series. [This deadline may be extended in exceptional circumstances where the controlled assessments marking and moderation schedule extends beyond this time].
3. The teacher(s) concerned in marking the assessment which is the subject of the appeal will respond to the appeal in writing and a copy will be sent to the parent/carer.
4. If the candidate and their parent/carer are not satisfied with the written response they have received then they can request a personal hearing before an appeals panel:
- The appeals panel will consist of the Headteacher and two of the following (Deputy Head/HoY/Subject leader/Exams Officer)
- The request for a personal hearing must be made within two days of receipt of the written reply to the initial appeal.
- The candidate and their parent/carer will be given at least two days notice of the hearing date.
- A breakdown of the marks awarded will be provided in advance of the appeal
- The teacher(s) involved will be present at the hearing.
- The Headteacher will convey the outcome of an appeal and the reasons for that outcome in writing to the candidate and their parent/carer.
- The school will maintain a written record of all appeals.
- The school will inform the awarding body of any change to an internally assessed mark as a result of an appeal.
5. If the candidate and their parent/carer remain unsatisfied, the case can be referred to the Examinations Appeals Board (EAB). NB This service applies where awarding bodies’ normal enquiries and appeals procedures have been exhausted.
6. The existence of this procedure is made known to students and their parents/carers. A copy is displayed on the Examinations Noticeboard and can be requested from the Examinations Officer.